Sunday, October 19, 2008

Week in Review: Barack is Swahili for "That One"

This week has provided me with a lot of political events to think about... and consequently blog about.

First of all, the debate this Wednesday, which I already wrote a post about. Obama mentioned a plan, however, that I didn't give enough attention - nor did anyone else really - but I thought was a fabulous proposal and want to mention now. Obama pointed out America's inferior position in the automobile industry - despite the fact that the auto industry was born in the U.S. - due to the lack of alternative fuel technology in comparison with the Asian auto industries. He suggested that we bring that technology to the U.S. and start catching up with the East - which I think is am amazing plan to create jobs, improve the environment with greener technology, and bringing the pride of the automobile back to the United States. That's my 2 cents.

Thursday night brought a breath of fresh air and some laughs at the Alfred E. Smith memorial dinner in New York. There were some hilarious jabs the candidates took at themselves and at each other:

The Chicago Tribune published the following article: (I actually just left the quotes from McCain and Obama that I thought were funny)

NEW YORK -- Barack Obama and John McCain appeared together last night at the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner. The entertaining pool report here comes from the New York Times' Jeff Zeleny:

"I can't shake that feeling that some people here are pulling for me," Mr. McCain said, turning to the far side of the stage. "I'm delighted to see you here tonight, Hillary."

Mr. McCain assured those in the ballroom that his rival was not fazed by being called, "That one," during the second presidential debate.

"He doesn't mind at all, in fact, he even has a pet name for me: George Bush," Mr. McCain said.

After a handshake, Mr. Obama took the lectern for his turn.

"I was originally told the venue would be Yankee Stadium. Can somebody tell me what happened to the Greek columns that I requested?" Mr. Obama said.

Later, he added: "I do love the Waldorf Astoria. I hear from the doorstep you can see all the way to the Russian Tea Room."

Mr. Obama, noting his age, said he did not have the pleasure of knowing Al Smith, but added: "From everything Senator McCain has told me, he was a great man."

Mr. Obama called it "a tribute to American democracy" that the two rivals could come together two weeks before the election to "sit down at the same dinner table without preconditions."

Finally, Mr. Obama did a riff on the question that Mr. McCain has been asking voters: Who is the real Barack Obama?

"I actually was not born in a manger," Mr. Obama said.

"Barack is actually Swahili for That One," he added.

"I got my middle name from somebody who obviously didn't think I would ever run for president," he continued.

He predicted that several October surprises were likely to occur, including: "My middle name is actually Steve," he said, speaking over loud applause. "Barack Steve Obama."

The McCains - the senator and his wife - clapped only tepidly when Mr. Obama said, "Fox News accused me of having two African American children in wedlock." The crowd, it seemed, wasn't sure how to respond.

Friday brought back the mudslinging as both candidates hit the campaign trail, with Obama in Virginia and McCain in Florida - and horribly received "RoboCalls" from the RNC regarding Obama's relationship with Bill Ayers were sent out throughout many states, most of which were crucial swing states for this election. Here's the rather nondescript phone call recording from the RoboCall:

Hello. I'm calling for John McCain and the RNC because you need to know that Barack Obama has worked closely with domestic terrorist Bill Ayers, whose organization bombed the U.S. capitol, the Pentagon, a judge's home and killed Americans. And Democrats will enact an extreme leftist agenda if they take control of Washington. Barack Obama and his Democratic allies lack the judgment to lead our country. This call was paid for by McCain-Palin 2008 and the Republican National Committee at 202-863-8500.

This Saturday, Sarah Palin appeared on Saturday Night Live as herself, to introduce the show in the beginning ("Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!") - and all I can say is that she sucked, she wasn't funny, and everyone who thinks she's "so great for getting out there with people who clearly don't like her, how brave!" can eat it - all it did was further illustrate how grossly unqualified she is and what little knowledge she has by just playing up her "pretty face" (which I personally don't see).

I'm excited to see what ridiculousness next week holds...

No comments: